By default, when you add a Gmail account to your iOS device your draft emails are stored in the Drafts folder in your Gmail account.
That’s great if you have an internet connection but what if you want to write a mail and store it locally for offline use?
You can configure your Gmail account on your iPhone, iPad or iPod Touch to store drafts and trashed mail on the device itself.
This means you don’t have to connect to the Gmail server every time which is great for saving on your data plan and even better if you have no internet access at all and want to write a draft email ready to be sent when you are in range of a connection.
Here’s how you do it:
1. Tap Settings > Mail, Contacts and Calendars
2. Tap your Gmail account
3. Tap your Gmail Account address at the top
4. Tap Advanced at the bottom
5. Under Mailbox Behaviours, tap Drafts Mailbox
6. Tap Drafts under the iPhone (iPad or iPod) heading
7. Tap Advanced (top left) to return
All done! Enjoy working offline.
You might have notice, you can also change where your Trash gets sent too.
This was tested on iOS 4.3.3 on iPhone 3GS.